Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Easy Beaded Necklaces

This is my 100th blog post!  I started this blog at the end of December 2011 as a kind of New Year's Resolution.  I have really enjoyed continuously making new things and sharing them on this blog.  I hope you have enjoyed reading it so far!

Anyway, here's what I have been working on the last day or two.

They look so fancy and pretty when you put them on, but they are so easy!  I made these while I was sitting at my computer doing other things, and each one took maybe 2 hours to make.  It would probably only take an hour if you made it and had your full attention to give to it.  These are so easy, I almost don't even need to give you instructions.  But I will anyway. =)

You will need some beading thread, a beading needle and some glass beads to start with.

Also, not pictured, you will need a couple of bead tips, jump rings, a necklace clasp and some needle nose pliers.

*Start by cutting a length of thread.  You will want to make it quite a bit longer than you want your necklace (at least 6 inches longer).  Tie a knot at the end and thread it onto the needle.  Thread the needle through one of your bead tips.  Then string your beads on.  Keep going until your beads are as long as you want the necklace.  I think mine ended up being about 20-22 inches long.  Leave the end open for now, but make sure you have your work laying on a flat surface so it won't come undone. **

Then repeat from * to **, threading each length of thread through the same bead tip. 
Repeat 5 times. You will have 6 strands of beads all the same length.
BTW, I would have taken more pictures, but my camera doesn't do very well with close-up detailed pictures.  I know, I know, I need a new camera.

Then, once you have all 6 strands of beads threaded, you will need to thread the other ends through another bead tip.  Once you have threaded all 6 strands through the bead tip, tie them in a knot, as close as possible to the bead tip.  Then cut the leftover string off the ends of the knots on both ends and close the bead tips with needle nose pliers.  I always use a teeny tiny dot of glue on the knots before I close the bead tips, just to make sure they don't come undone.  Then attach the jump rings and clasp to each side. 

Here is me modeling one of the necklaces I made:
(I need to get a new model)

And these are the 3 necklaces I made.  I totally love them!  So pretty and easy to make.  Even my husband was impressed with these.  He said, "Wow, you made those?" when I showed them to him. 
I know I will be making more of these.  Hobby Lobby has these packs of beads for $3.97 each, and they often go on sale for 50% off.  The cost of the other supplies is minimal.  So you can make yourself a gorgeous, glamorous necklace (or give one to someone as a gift) for as little as $2.50.





No comments:

Post a Comment