Sunday, November 25, 2012

Homemade Double Down Sandwiches

I have been wanting to try a double down sandwich from KFC for a long time now.  But, every time I go there and ask for a grilled Double Down sandwich they either tell me they can't make it or they give me some other excuse why I can't order it (even though it is on their menu).  The fried version just isn't healthy enough for me.  Too many carbs and it's not grain free.  I figured even if I could manage to order one, I could make my own cheaper and much healthier version of the sandwich.  Turns out, I was right! 
All you need are some chicken breasts (I used the cutlets), bacon, and cheese.
 
First, you will need to flatten the chicken breasts.  This is the fun part!  Put them on some kind of tray or rimmed baking sheet.  You will want to cover them with something so the raw chicken juice doesn't splatter all over the place.  I used parchment paper, but I'm sure you could use wax paper, plastic wrap, or maybe even aluminum foil.  Pound them down very thin with a meat hammer (this is a great way to take out your daily frustrations!)

I found that once I flattened the chicken cutlets, they were a little on the large side, so I cut each of them in half.  Bake them in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.
While the chicken is cooking, fry up the bacon on the stove.
Once the chicken is done, place a piece of cheese on one side of each chicken "bread."

Put one or two slices of bacon on each sandwich.  Put the other piece of chicken "bread" on each sandwich.  The result is a very healthy, high protein, carb-free sandwich that is also very filling.  These were very tasty and I have added this recipe to our regulars!




No comments:

Post a Comment