Sunday, November 11, 2012

Low Carb Pumpkin Sausage Soup

 
This is one of my favorite new recipes.  I originally found the recipe here, but I adapted it a bit.  This recipe is low carb, sugar free, dairy free, grain free and gluten free.  The original recipe calls for mushrooms, but I'm not a fan of mushrooms, so I left them out, but I added a few other veggies.  Also the original recipe is made on the stove, but I adapted it for a crock pot.
 
Ingredients:
1 lb mild pork sausage
4 cups (1 32 oz carton) chicken broth
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper cut into small pieces
1 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper
 
Cook the sausage in a pan and drain off the fat, if any.  Add chopped onions.  Pour into crock pot.  Add all other ingredients and stir.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I have made this twice already and I absolutely love it!  I could make it every week.  I get excited when I make this, not only because it's a crock pot recipe that I don't have to worry about making, but also because it's delicious and super healthy.  It makes about 8 1-cup servings, but trust me, you will probably eat at least 2 servings!  And we always have a ton left over.  It tastes great when you reheat it the next day.  Let me know if you try it and what you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment