Saturday, May 19, 2012

No More Ants!!!

The other night I realized that a swarm of ants had moved into my kitchen.  I had some Combat ant traps that I had used in the past, which worked, but took several weeks to completely get rid of them.  I thought I remembered seeing a new method of getting rid of those pests, so I did some searching and found a recipe for ant poison.  After using it, the ants were completely gone in less than 24 hours.  And I did it using things that I already had in the house!

Here's what you need:
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp borax
1 cup warm water
cotton balls
small plastic lids



Mix the first 3 ingredients together in a bowl.  Take some cotton balls and saturate them in the mixture.  Place 1-3 saturated cotton balls in each of the lids, depending on the size of the lid.  Place the lids in various locations around the area with the ant infestation. 

The way it works is that the ants are attracted by the sugar water, but the borax is poisonous.  The ants pick up the poison and take it back to their nest where it kills the entire ant colony, including the queen.  I put these out late at night before I went to bed.  The next morning, there were just a few ants lingering, but by lunchtime, there was no trace of them!  And I haven't seen a single one yet.

***UPDATE*** 5/20/12
I had some questions about the safety of pets and small children when using this method.  I do not know if it is safe for animals or children, so I would definitely assume it's not.  Keep your cotton balls out of reach of children and pets.  We have a cat, but I put all of the cotton balls on the kitchen counter, and she doesn't get up there so I didn't need to worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment