Thursday, May 31, 2012

Turkey Meatballs

One of our most favorite meals used to be sweet and sour meatballs.  They were so delicious and so quick and easy to make.  All I had to do was throw a bag of meatballs into a pan with sweet and sour sauce and heat for 5 minutes or so.  But we stopped eating them eventually for health reasons.  We realized those pre-packaged processed foods are really not very good for you.
After a while, I really started to miss those meatballs.  So I decided to attempt making them myself, which would make them much healthier...plus I made a few ingredient swaps to make them even healthier!  Here are the ingredients:

2 lbs ground turkey
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flaxseed
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp onion flakes


Combine the ingredients in a bowl.  Shape them into meatballs and place on a baking sheet.

This makes quite a bit.  It was enough for 3 meals for my husband and I (Angie doesn't like them).
Anyway, place whatever you are not using right away in the freezer.  When frozen, remove them from the baking sheet and place in a ziploc bag.  They keep very well in the freezer.
Take the meatballs that you are using and bake them in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
They should come out looking nice and golden brown like this:

Top with your favorite sauce (I used sweet and sour)
You can serve them plain, or with rice or noodles.  They tasted delicious, and they are so much healthier than the pre-packaged store bought meatballs!





No comments:

Post a Comment