Friday, April 20, 2012

DIY Cooking Spray

So I have seen this on Pinterest and I thought I would give it a try.  Seemed easy enough.  You make your own cooking spray by mixing 1 part oil with 5 parts water.  It is healthier than Pam, it is much cheaper, and it is environmentally friendly because it keeps aerosol cans out of the landfills.

Start with a bottle of oil and a clean spray bottle.  I don't recommend reusing spray bottles from cleaning products for obvious reasons, but you can pick up an empty spray bottle at most grocery stores and big box stores.
My bottle held about 2 cups, so I did the math and calculated the 1 part to 5 parts= 1/3 cup oil and 1 2/3 cup water.  Use a funnel to pour them into the bottle.
Label your bottle so you and everyone else in your house knows what it is.  Then what you have is your very own refillable bottle of cooking spray.
As we all know, oil and water don't mix, so the oil will sit on top of the water.  So you will need to give it a good shake before each use.  And I mean a good shake.  The oil and water separate very quickly, so make sure you get your sprayin' in right after you shake it up.
I calculated the cost of the DIY cooking spray at $0.66.  Well, technically, there was a one-time cost of $1.49 for the spray bottle, but since it's a one-time cost, I didn't include it in the total.  I used extra virgin olive oil, so depending on what type of oil you use, it could be more or less.  Compared to $2.39 for a can of Pam, it's a steal!  Also, my can of Pam had 6 oz in it while my homemade cooking spray has 16.  That's a cost of $0.40 per ounce for the Pam, or $0.04 per ounce when you make your own.  One more thing I don't have to buy anymore!



No comments:

Post a Comment