Thursday, March 22, 2012

DVD Cabinet Organization

Our family has quite a collection of DVDs.  It started before my husband and I met.  He already had a large DVD collection.  I had a large video collection, which quickly turned into a large-ish DVD collection.  We got married, and we had a HUGE DVD collection.  We had a child and it got even bigger when we added kids' DVDs to the mix.  Over the years, we have cut down our collection by quite a bit many times.  But we still have 250+ DVDs that we can't bear to part with.  And I don't think that's such a bad thing.  We just happen to like movies.  But here's the bad part about having so many DVDs:
 Those are double stacked on the bottom.  And these aren't even all of them.  There is another cabinet too, plus more in our basement.  I have been planning to do an overhaul on our DVD cabinet for quite some time now.  We could never find the DVD we wanted because... well, because of this mess!
So I went in search of some bins or baskets that would hold DVDs, fit in our cabinet, and also not cost too much.  I finally found some plastic bins at Target.  They still cost a little more than I would have liked, but at least I got all of them on sale.  I could only get them a few at a time because Target only has a few of them on the shelf at a time.  So it took me awhile to get my cabinet totally organized. 
I used labels and a marker to label each bin for a different category.  By the time I got to the end of the DVD pile, I found that I had several that didn't fit into any of the other categories.  Or they did fit into a category but there were not enough of each kind to fill a bin.  So I have one bin that is labeled Sports/007 (Sports movies and James Bond movies.  Nope- not mine.)  And I have another bin labeled Misc. 
I had to go back to buy more bins I think 3 or 4 times.  But finally I got all of the DVDs put away and organized.
Ta-da!  And I still have room for one more.  I know we have more DVDs in the TV cabinet plus in the basement, so I could bring those up and put them away so they are all in one place.  Or, I could look at it as room to grow. =)  Now I am happy because all of our DVDs are put away and easy to find.  And they look so pretty!


1 comment:

  1. How many DVD's does that book shelf store? And what are the dimensions? I am looking to do something like this with our DVD's - like you guys, we both came into our marriage with a huge stash of DVD's, & we also have 4 kids with varied movie tastes. I'm desperate for something that looks neat!

    ReplyDelete