Thursday, March 29, 2012

Save by Making Your Own Breadcrumbs

Lately I have been doing a lot of re-evaluating.  Trying to figure out what we really need to spend money on and what we can do without.  One of the ways I have been doing this is thinking of ways to replace items we would normally buy with something cheaper, or better yet, free.  If you have been reading my blog, you may have noticed that I have a lot of "duh" moments.  This is one of them! 
 I made meatloaf this week and used up the last little bit in my canister of breadcrumbs.  So I added breadcrumbs to my grocery list.  But then I remembered seeing this post awhile back on one of my favorite blogs, SavingsLifestyle.com.  I always throw the leftover heels away from loaves of bread.  Duh!!!  Instead of throwing bread away and buying more bread (in crumb form), perhaps I should use the bread I already have and convert it into crumb form.  I'm not sure why I didn't do that before.  Maybe I didn't realize how easy it is to make breadcrumbs.  Also, don't stop with heels.  Any leftover, unwanted hot dog or hamburger buns work too.  There are 2 ways to make them.  You can either let the bread sit out for a couple of days until it's good and stale.  Or, just stick 'em in the toaster...
Let them cool off enough to handle.  Then crumble them up in a bowl.
As you can see, crumbling them up yourself isn't enough, so start adding them to a food processor, a little bit at a time.
Process the bread until you have fine crumbs.  Then label a Ziploc bag (I didn't add a date because I plan to add to it each time I get more bread heels) and fill with the crumbs.  Store them in the freezer.

That's one less thing I have to buy!  I hate being wasteful, so it's really exciting to me when I find a way to use something that I would have thrown away.



No comments:

Post a Comment