Saturday, June 30, 2012

Low Carb Bread

That's right, I said low carb bread.  OK, so it's not actually break but it looks, acts and tastes like bread... so it works.  Sometimes I struggle to stay on my low carb diet, but recently I found this trick that makes it a little easier.  Granted, it is much more costly and time consuming than buying a loaf of bread, but it's much better than eating a lettuce wrap sandwich. 
Here's what you need:

1 package of cream cheese or neufchatel
1 cup parmesan cheese
2 eggs
cookie sheet
mixing bowl and spoon


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the cream cheese in the mixing bowl.  You may want to microwave it for 30 seconds or so to soften it.  Then add the eggs and parmesan cheese and mix well. ( I made a double batch since I was using a large cookie sheet.) Grease your cookie sheet.  Spread the mixture evenly over the cookie sheet, making sure to cover it completely.
Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 23-25 minutes.  Then remove and let cool completely.

Use a knife or pizza cutter to make bread-sized squares.  Or, use a round cookie cutter to make hamburger buns.  These can be stored in the fridge or the freezer. 
I am really excited about this because now I can have all kinds of sanwiches!  Roast beef, turkey, tuna salad, chicken, peanut butter and jelly, not to mention hamburgers, turkey burgers, tuna burgers, sloppy joes, BLTs... the possibilities are endless!  OK, so maybe not grilled cheese... that is something that I miss while eating low carb, but since this "bread" is basically cheese, a grilled cheese sandwich would basically be a huge slab of cheese.  Besides, I don't think it would work if you tried grilling this bread.

Here is the lovely egg salad sandwich that I made myself:

While I can't lie to you and say it tastes exactly like bread, it does serve its purpose as a bread substitute.  And it was delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment