Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chicken Vegetable Chowder

I absolutely love chowders.  I previously posted my recipe for Cheeseburger Chowder which is low carb, but high in fat and calories.  I decided I needed to create a new chowder recipe that is not only low carb but also lower in fat and calories.  So I threw something together, and it was very tasty!  Here's what I came up with:

Chicken and Vegetable Chowder

1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup canned corn (no sugar added)
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 10 oz can of chicken
1 1/2 cups milk (not pictured)
12 oz Cream of Cauliflower Soup (Or, if you must, 1 can cream of potato soup)
1 8 oz package cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp parsley flakes
Salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients except cream cheese in a large bowl.  Pour into crock pot.  Top with cream cheese and cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Stir periodically to mix in the cream cheese.

This makes a great freezer meal as well.  I mixed up 3 batches of it and froze the other two.  When you mix all of the ingredients except the cream cheese in a large bowl, just pour the extra into a labeled freezer bag.  Lay it flat in the freezer and freeze.  The day before you eat it, just put it in the fridge so it can thaw out.  Then pour it into the crock pot, add the cream cheese, and cook.
As you can see, when I first started making this, I planned to make it just vegetables.  But I decided to add the chicken at the last minute, and I'm glad I did.  When I make this again, I'll have to remember to add the chicken too.

This was one of those things that I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it turned out great!  I'm excited to have another healthy and delicious meal to make for my family.  And I'm excited that I don't have to make it the next 2 times since I made extra! ;)



1 comment: