Thursday, March 15, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Shirts

I made these St. Patty's Day shirts last weekend.  I really meant to post this sooner, but haven't been able to because of my crazy work schedule which will soon be getting even crazier.  Anyway, it took me about an hour total to make both of these.  So it is very quick and easy.  I started with 2 plain green shirts.

It's surprising how hard it was to find plain green shirts in March.  I went to I don't know how many stores before I found these.  I got mine at Old Navy.  I wanted both of them to be long-sleeved, but it is supposed to be in the low 80's on Saturday so I don't think it will be a problem... for me, at least.  I got Angie's shirt in the boy's section at Once Upon a Child.  I may have to shorten the sleeves because she is gonna be warm in that shirt.  Anyway, I'm off topic.
These are made the same way as the Valentine's Day heart shirts that I made last month.  You start by turning the shirt inside out and ironing on a piece of fusible interfacing where you want the shamrock to be.

Then turn the shirt right side out.  Using a shamrock cookie cutter, place it on the shirt and trace over the interfacing around where you want the shamrock to be.  I recommend measuring first to make sure it's centered.


Turn the shirt inside out again.  Pin your pre-washed fabric over the back of the shamrock tracing. 
Once again, turn the shirt right side out.  With a needle and thread, sew around the shamrock using small stitches.
Once you have sewn all the way around the shamrock, pull the top layer of fabric (the shirt and the interfacing) forward and cut through it.  Be very careful not to cut through the back piece of fabric.  Continue cutting out the shamrock shape close to the edges.


Now you have a cute St. Patrick's Day shirt for yourself and/or your little one to wear!



No comments:

Post a Comment