Sunday, March 18, 2012

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

If you are watching your carbs like me, you know you have to avoid potatoes like the plague.  But what about all of those yummy chowders that are mostly low-carb except for the cream of potato soup?  I discovered a low-carb substitute for cream of potato soup and I can barely tell the difference.
I modified this recipe from one I found in 500 Low Carb Recipes. 

Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter
3/4 cup onion
1 32 oz container of chicken broth
1 10 oz package frozen cauliflower
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup half and half

Salt and pepper

Directions:
Melt the butter in a saucepan.  Add the onion and cook until it is translucent.  Add the chicken broth and cauliflower and cook until the vegetables are tender.
Carefully pour the contents of the saucepan into a large food processor.  Add the xanthan gum and puree. 
 Return the ingredients to the saucepan.  Add the half and half and salt and pepper and heat through.

This makes about 36 ounces of soup, so it's enough for 3-4 cans worth.  I separated mine into 3 12-ounce portions.  Use it in place of cream of potato soup in your favorite recipes.  Or, stay tuned because I just *may* be writing my own new recipe that includes cream of cauliflower soup!





No comments:

Post a Comment