Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mommy & Me Valentine's Day Shirts

I got this idea from one of my favorite blogs.  I did mine a little different though.  I really like this idea because it's quick and easy and it requires minimal sewing.  I decided to make shirts for both me and Angie.  I tried to find a long sleeved pink shirt for her, but I could only find short-sleeved.  And our shirts are slightly different shades of pink.  But it's no biggie.
I started by ironing a piece of interfacing to the wrong side of the shirts where the hearts would go.  (I made the hearts go across on my shirt and up and down on Angie's.)

Then I turned the shirts right side out.  I took a heart-shaped cookie cutter and traced around it where I wanted the hearts to go.

Then I turned the shirts inside out again and pinned a piece of light pink knit fabric over the interfacing.
Then you turn the shirt right side out yet again.  Sew around the hearts.
Then pull apart the front and back pieces of fabric and cut through the top layer (the layer with the shirt and the interfacing).  Be careful not to cut through the back layer with the light pink fabric.  Continue to cut out the heart shape.
Cut out the heart shape on all three hearts.  Then trim off the excess fabric on the back of the shirt.  That's pretty much it!  You can make Mommy & Me shirts, or you can make one just for yourself or just for your little one.  Here's what they look like finished:





No comments:

Post a Comment