Saturday, February 4, 2012

Homemade Cheddar Bay Biscuits

I love the Cheddar Bay biscuits at Red Lobster.  Actually, I just love Red Lobster.  I was never a big seafood fan until I was probably in my early twenties, but a big part of what drew me in was Red Lobster.  I don't know what it is about that place.  It's just a nice environment and good food.  Anyway, I decided to look for a recipe to make your own Cheddar Bay biscuits.  I found one here.  However, I read through some of the comments and one user commented that you need to add some Old Bay seasoning to the garlic butter.  That makes sense, I thought.  So I added some to the recipe and I don't think it would have tasted right without it.  The whole project was surprisingly easier and less time consuming than I expected.

First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and mix up the batter.

4 cups baking mix
3 ounces cheddar cheese
1 1/3 cups water

Mix with hand mixer or stand mixer until dough is firm.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.  Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the cookie sheet. 

 Bake for 10-12 minutes.
While you are waiting for the biscuits to cook, mix up the garlic butter:
1 stick of butter, melted
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp parsley
(I left the salt out.  In case you haven't noticed, I don't add salt to anything, even if a recipe calls for it.)

Once the biscuits are done, take them out of the oven and apply the garlic butter.

The end!  I think they taste pretty close to Red Lobster's.  They have the same taste, but the texture is a little different.  The homemade ones don't have that crispy, crumbly texture that the Red Lobster ones have.  But you can't expect to replicate the awesomeness that is Red Lobster.  All in all I was happy with the biscuits I made.  They were very much appreciated at my house, and they disappeared quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment