Sunday, January 15, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas


I love, love, love Buffalo chicken dip.  But ever since I started watching my carbs, I haven't been making it since it requires chips for dipping.  This was one of those questions that has been in the back of my mind:  How can I still eat it without going overboard on carbs?  I considered other low-carb dipping options.  Celery?  No.  That's just sad.  Pork rinds?  Don't really like those.

Anyway, as I planned to make chicken quesadillas for dinner this weekend, I had a light bulb turn on above my head.  I was mentally checking off the ingredients that I needed to make chicken quesadillas.  Chicken?  Check.  Cheese?  Check.  Hot sauce?  Check.
HEY!  Wait a minute.
Those are 3 of the ingredients in Buffalo chicken dip.  Why not make it in my little Crock-ette and use it as filling for the quesadillas?
DUH!!!

 I use these low-carb tortillas:
Only 6 net carbs per tortilla... and 12 grams of fiber (whoa!)  And to be honest, they don't have that nasty, grainy, fiber-y taste.  Especially after you cook them.

I'm sure a lot of you are already familiar with Buffalo chicken dip.  If you haven't made it yourself, chances are you have probably tasted it at a party or picnic before.  But just in case you are not familiar with it, here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked chicken
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Ranch dressing
1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce

I cook the chicken in my little crock-ette (about 5 hours or so) and then shred it with 2 forks.  Then I add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and let it cook for another hour or so.


Mmmmm, yummy!

Then you are ready to cook the quesadillas.  Heat up the Foreman Grill.  Put about 1/3 cup, or 3 big spoonfuls of the Buffalo chicken filling on half of the tortilla.  Fold in half and close the grill.


Cook for about 6 minutes.  Then carefully remove the quesadilla from the grill.  Let it cool for a few minutes, then use a pizza cutter to cut it into quarters.


You can serve them plain, or with salsa or sour cream for dipping.  I think they taste just fine plain.  I did the calculations, and these are about 8 net carbs per tortilla.  Not bad at all!  Of course, if you are not watching your carbs, then you are free to use any old high-carb tortilla.  But you will feel guilty knowing that you could have made it much healthier but just as delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment