Thursday, January 5, 2012

Recycled Jar Candles

You know all of those old candles that burn all the way to the bottom but there is still wax left?  DON'T THROW THEM AWAY!!  I was so excited to learn how to do this, and I was amazed at how simple it is.  You can easily and inexpensively turn those old candles into brand-spankin' new candles!  I started out with this:

The only other things you will need are a pan, a new candle wick, a clean glass jar, a pair of tongs, and an old pair of pot holders or oven mitts.


Place the first old candle into the pan.  Fill the pan with hot water, being careful not to get any water inside the candle.  Place it on the burner on high heat.  Let it boil until the wax is completely melted.  This can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on how much wax is left.

While you are waiting for the wax to melt, place the new wick in the clean glass jar.  I like to use a little dot of glue to hold it in place.

Once the wax is completely melted, take the pan off the burner.  Use the tongs to pull out the old wick and throw it away.  Then, using the old pot holders or oven mitts, VERY CAREFULLY (I mean very carefully as in do not burn yourself and do not spill the wax) remove the glass jar from the pan and pour wax into the clean glass jar.


Repeat the process with each old candle until you have a full jar i.e. complete candle.  Here is what I ended up with:

I ended up using 4 old candles.  The scents were maple sugar, pecan pie, vanilla gingerbread, and sparkling cinnamon.  This is such a fun and easy project that I have been burning all of my candles all the time now so I will have old ones to make new ones out of!

1 comment: