Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning and Taco Soup

Our family loves tacos so much that we made every Friday Taco Night.  As always, I had to figure out a way to make them healthier and cheaper.  One of the ways I did that was to make my own taco seasoning.  Taco seasoning packets can cost up to $1 or more, not to mention they are filled with loads of sodium, sugars, and MSG.  By making your own, you save money and make a much healthier meal for your family (without sacrificing taste.)

You will need:

1/4 cup chili powder
3 tbsp + 1 tsp paprika
3 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp + 2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt


Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.  I usually make a triple batch.  Store them in an air-tight container.  I store mine in an old pepper jar that I cleaned out and repurposed. 
Mix 2 tbsp of the seasoning and 1/2 cup of water with 1 lb of cooked ground beef or turkey.  And there you have it.  Healthy and tasty taco meat.

But wait!

After everyone has been served, are you left with this?


This is what happened to us every Friday.  And what I would do is put it in a small container that would eventually make its way to the back of the fridge and be completely forgotten.  By the time I would find it, it was no good and got thrown out.  So I came up with a great idea that ensures it will never get wasted again:

TACO SOUP!

It is so quick and easy that I don't mind making it right there in the same pan I made the taco meat with.  You just need 3 more ingredients, which are staples you probably already have in your kitchen.


Let's say you have about 1/2 lb of meat left.  (If you have 1/4 lb left, then just halve the recipe)

Add 1/4 cup of chopped onions
1/4 cup of salsa
2 cups or 1 15 oz can of chicken broth

Mix all ingredients together and heat thru.  You can either put it in containers in the fridge and eat it for Saturday or Sunday lunch, or put it in Ziploc baggies and freeze for weekday lunches. 
When you are ready to eat it, just heat it and add a little cheese and sour cream.  It makes a very easy and delicious lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment