Monday, January 30, 2012

Washer Hose Lint Trap

Okay, I know this isn't the most exciting or glamorous post, but it was an idea I came up with while we were cleaning our basement this weekend.  And I mean CLEANING our basement.  We threw out some stuff that has been sitting down there for years.  It hasn't been this clean since we moved in over 4 years ago.  I really wish I would have taken before and after pics.  But anyway, I'm getting off topic. 
One of the messiest/dirtiest places in our basement was the laundry area, particularly the sink.  I think we are eventually going to replace it, but for now, I cleaned up that area really well.  While cleaning the sink, I realized that the hose that empties from the washer into the sink used to have a little do-hickey on it that kept lint and dirt from being washed down the drain.  Somewhere along the line, it got lost or thrown out.  And the sink is not completely clogged, but it's getting there.  So I thought, I need a new do-hickey to put on that hose to keep the sink from getting clogged.  And then a light bulb turned on in my head.  I can make my own!

All you need are an old bath pouf, scissors, and a rubber band.
Start by cutting the string that's holding the netting of the bath pouf together.
Then unravel the bath pouf into a long strip.
Tie a knot at the end.
Cut about 6 inches up from the knot.  (You can save the rest of the netting to make new lint traps when yours is full.  That way, you don't have to clean it out.  Yech.)
Place over the washer hose and secure with the rubber band.

So simple!  (By the way, please excuse my nasty laundry room sink.  But just imagine how bad it looked before I cleaned it!)  Keep in mind that if you need a lint trap for your washer hose, or lose yours like I did, you can save yourself a trip to the hardware store and a headache trying to find what you're looking for by easily making your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment