Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homemade Condensed Soup Mix

In the past, I have made my own cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup.  It's much healthier than the canned versions.  But then I would run out quickly and never find the time to make more.  I recently discovered that there are recipes out there for a powdered condensed soup mix.  Who knew?  Not me, that's for sure.  I was really excited to find this recipe on my favorite site for recipes, Allrecipes.com.  I was even more excited to figure out a way to make it even healthier.  Here is the original recipe:



Ingredients
  • 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup chicken bouillon powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions
  1. Using an air tight container combine dry milk, cornstarch, onion flakes, pepper and chicken bouillon. If desired also add basil and thyme. Mix well and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
  2. When using the mix combine 1/3 cup of the mix with 1 1/4 cups of water in saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened.               



I swapped out the cornstarch for almond flour.  Cornstarch has way too many carbs for me.  I would have swapped out the dried milk for something lower-carb, but I couldn't think of anything.  This recipe makes enough for about 9 "cans" of soup.  When I was gathering the ingredients to make it, I wanted to make a double batch, but I didn't have enough ingredients, so I decided to make just one batch.  Turns out I read the recipe wrong and added 3/4 cup of chicken bouillon powder instead of 1/4, so I had no choice but to go to the store and get enough ingredients to make a triple batch.  I had enough to fill 2 4-cup containers and then some.  That should last me for awhile, and that makes me happy!  Takes up less space in my pantry than those cans, and it is WAY healthier.  Here is the nutrition information for the canned cream of chicken soup vs. mine:

Canned Cream of Chicken Soup (Note: this is the 98% fat free version)
Nutrition Facts (Per Can)
Calories: 200
Total Fat: 6.25 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Sodium: 2000
Total Carbohydrate: 30 g

Homemade Condensed Soup
Nutrition Facts (Per Can)
Calories: 108
Total Fat: 4.7 g
Saturated Fat: 0
Sodium: 475 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 10.5 g

So you can see there is quite a difference.  I made a "can" of the condensed soup (as pictured above) to use in our dinner tonight.  I can't wait to see how it tastes!

*UPDATE*
I made dinner using my homemade cream of chicken soup, and surprisingly, it tasted way better than usual!  I don't know if it was my homemade substitution or if I did something different without realizing it, but it really was a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment