Thursday, January 5, 2012

How to Knit Baby Leg Warmers


Since we are getting into the winter months, I thought it would be appropriate to share this post on how to make leg warmers for your little one.  Every Sunday, I dress my daughter in a cute little dress with tights.  But in the winter, I would worry about her little legs staying warm with only a thin layer covering them.  So I came up with the idea of making leg warmers to put on over her tights.  Problem solved!  Now she stays warm and still looks cute.  These also work really well over leggings.

What you will need is a set of double pointed needles (dpns) and a small amount of yarn.  I like to use Sugar and Cream brand cotton, but good ole' Red Heart works just fine too.  I used size 8 needles, but you don't have to use that exact size.  Since every child is going to be a slightly different size, you may have to play around with the size.  For a 2 1/2 year old, I cast on 28 stitches and knit in the round until I had a tube about 5 1/2 inches long.  I had to try a few first before I got it right.  If you have never knit in the round before, it can take a little while to get the hang of using the dpns, but once you have made a couple of pairs, you will want to make them in every color (like I did!).  Follow the instructions in this youtube video in order to learn how to knit in the round.  I must admit, this was my first experience knitting in the round with dpns, but once I did, I wondered why I didn't learn sooner!  It is a lot easier than you would think.  That's really all there is to it.  Just knit 2 perfect little seamless tubes and pull it on over tights or leggings and you have something cute that will keep her legs warm in the cold winter months!

No comments:

Post a Comment