Saturday, January 7, 2012

Recycled Grocery Bag Washcloths


After I started making the recycled plastic grocery bag totes which I shared in this previous post, I started thinking, what else could you make with the plastic bag yarn?  I have heard of people making blankets for homeless people out of the plastic bag yarn, but that doesn't sound to me like it would be very comfortable... or warm for that matter. 
So my next great idea was knitted washcloths made from plastic bag yarn.  They are kind of a cross between a regular washcloth and a bath pouf.  What makes these better is that they won't fall apart and they are 100% machine washable (just don't put them in the dryer!) 

You will need about 6 plastic bags per washcloth.  Learn how to make plastic bag yarn here.  Using size 10 1/2 knitting needles, cast on 24 stitches.  Continue knitting in garter stitch until you have a square, then bind off.  When you get to the last stitch, leave the loop for hanging.

In case you were wondering, this is an exfoliating washcloth, so it is a little rougher than a regular washcloth.  It feels similar to a pouf, but slightly rougher.  My husband said that they look painful... they are definitely not painful, but they're not super soft either.  That's why it's an exfoliating washcloth.  Worst case scenario, if you make one and don't like it, you can use it in your kitchen sink as a dish scrubber.  Personally, I have replaced my pouf with my new homemade washcloths and I use them every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment